Pizza lovers, rejoice! Imagine firing up your grill and serving up perfectly charred Neapolitan-style pizza right in your backyard. But can you use a pizza steel on the grill to achieve that crispy crust and deliciously gooey center we all crave?
The answer is a resounding yes! In this blog post, we’ll explore the benefits of cooking with a pizza steel on the grill, share some handy tips to get it just right, and even suggest alternative ways for grilling pizzas like a pro.
What Is A Pizza Steel?
A pizza steel, also known as a baking steel, is a kitchen tool made purely from steel that provides superior heat conduction.
It allows for quick and even heat transfer and can be used for various baking tasks. A high-temperature tolerant and durable pizza steel can elevate home cooking to professional-grade dishes.
Can You Use A Pizza Steel On The Grill?
Yes, you can use a pizza steel on the grill for a perfect homemade pizza. To use it, put the baking steel or griddle on top of bricks on the grill grate, let it preheat for 40-45 minutes, and place the pizza dough on its hot surface.
Steel conducts heat more efficiently than other materials, ensuring even cooking and crispy edges. Pizza steels are also more durable and temperature-resistant than traditional stones. This makes them perfect for both home cooks and professional chefs who want to expand their culinary options.
Advantages Of Cooking Pizza With A Pizza Steel On The Grill
Using a pizza steel on the grill has several advantages, such as creating a crispy and chewy crust, cooking pizza evenly in less time, making it perfect for outdoor gatherings, and offering versatility to cook other foods alongside pizzas.
|Advantages of a Pizza Steel||Reasons|
|Superior heat conduction for even cooking.||Steel is an excellent conductor of heat, ensuring even cooking across the entire surface of your pizza crust. It provides uniform heating for your pizza dough, making it easier to achieve perfect results.|
|Quick and efficient heat transfer creates a crispy crust.||A pizza cooked on steel heats up faster and conducts heat more efficiently than other materials, achieving crispy crusts that mimic those found in high-end outdoor pizza ovens or KettlePizza inserts.|
|High-temperature tolerance for efficient pizza cooking.||Pizza steels can withstand high temperatures, allowing you to cook pizzas at temperatures over 800°F. The high-temperature tolerance ensures efficient pizza cooking, ideal for achieving perfect, delicious results.|
|Durable and long-lasting for frequent use.||Compared to traditional stones, pizza steels are more durable, temperature-resistant, and long-lasting, making them ideal for frequent use. They do not crack easily and can be used daily for pizzas and other baking tasks.|
|Versatile for other baking tasks besides pizza.||In addition to making pizzas, pizza steels can be used for various other baking tasks like making bread, frying meat, and even creating ice cream. This versatility ensures that it can be used for different cooking tasks in the kitchen or outdoors.|
Many home chefs have praised the Baking Steel brand for its ability to improve oven heat efficiency beyond just pizza-making. So if you’re looking to invest in a versatile kitchen tool that’s perfect for outdoor gatherings and everyday cooking needs alike, pizza steel should definitely make your list!
Tips For Using A Pizza Steel On The Grill
Here are 5 tips for using a pizza steel on the grill:
1. Preheat the pizza steel properly: Preheat your pizza steel in a cold oven at 350°F for at least an hour to create a protective surface and prevent sticking.
2. Use high-temperature cooking: The pizza steel conducts heat better than stone, so use high temperatures of up to 500°F for quick cooking times and crispy crusts.
3. Place the bricks correctly: To cook pizza on the grill with a pizza steel, place six bricks in a “U” shape arrangement on the grill, then place the pizza steel on top of the bricks before turning on the grill.
4. Monitor cooking time: Pizza steels can cook pizzas in minutes, so keep an eye on your pie once it is in the oven. They typically require upward of 45 minutes to preheat.
5. Experiment with toppings and recipes: With versatile heat conductivity and even heat distribution, your creativity is only limited by your imagination! Try different toppings or recipes like flatbread or naan bread to see what works best for you.
That’s it! These tips will help you make delicious homemade pizzas that are crispy, chewy and perfectly cooked every time using a pizza steel on your grill!
Where Can I Get A Pizza Steel?
Pizza steels are available online or at kitchen appliance stores like Williams Sonoma, Sur La Table, Amazon, and more. The Baking Steel brand is recommended, but other brands are also available. They come in different sizes to fit various ovens and grills.
Alternatively, custom-cut stainless steel sheets from hardware stores can work as well. Some people prefer cast iron skillets or pizza stones. Adding a pizza steel to your cooking equipment will take your homemade pizzas cooked in the oven or on the grill to the next level.
Alternative Ways To Cook Pizza On The Grill
If you don’t have a pizza steel or prefer to use other equipment, there are alternative ways to cook pizza on the grill such as using a pizza stone or cast iron skillet.
Using A Pizza Stone Or Cast Iron Skillet
There are alternative ways to cook pizza on the grill if you don’t have a pizza steel. Here are a couple of options:
1. Pizza Stone: A pizza stone is made from clay or other materials that help distribute heat evenly. Preheat the stone on the grill for at least 30 minutes before placing your pizza on it. The result is a crispy crust and evenly cooked toppings.
2. Cast Iron Skillet: Turn your cast-iron skillet into a makeshift pizza stone by preheating it upside-down on the grill for 20 minutes with a baking sheet on top of it. Once it’s hot, carefully place your pizza dough onto the baking sheet and add toppings as desired. Cook until the crust is golden brown and the toppings are melted.
Both alternatives provide excellent results in cooking pizza on the grill, but they may take longer to cook compared to using a pizza steel due to their lower heat retention capacity.
Using a pizza steel on the grill is highly recommended for perfectly crispy pizza crusts. Faster cooking time and versatility to cook different foods are among the many advantages of using a pizza steel. Tips like combining with a stone or cast iron skillet can enhance end results even more.
Adding a pizza steel to your outdoor cooking set-up will elevate your grilling game. Get ready to impress friends and family with delicious Neapolitan-style pies cooked to perfection on a pizza steel!